Social Security Number Breach and IRS Tax Fraud FAQ

Social Security Number Breach and IRS Tax Fraud
Frequently Asked Questions
Last updated April 21, 2015. 
Disclaimer:  The following is compiled for your information and is believed to be accurate. Please contact with corrections or additions.
What happened?
According to the University, an employee improperly published the Social Security numbers and first and last name for 4,697 faculty and graduate assistants who taught [or were instructors of record] during the Fall 2014 semester to a University website on February 13, 2015.  The University removed the document from the website March 8th.
What is the University’s response?
On March 10th the University emailed exposed employees a recommendation to file a Fraud Alert with a credit reporting agency. March 11th the University emailed exposed employees that the University would offer them at no cost to the employee one year of LifeLock identity misuse monitoring service.  On March 12th the University emailed exposed employees instructions for obtaining one year of LifeLock identity misuse monitoring service at no cost to the employee.  On April 1st the President extended LifeLock coverage to two years, authorized supervisors to allow release time for individuals to recover from identity theft, and stated that the Provost's Office may, in justified cases, supply additional one-time resources to help recover from identity theft related to fraudulent tax returns.  Click here to see the President's April 1st email.
How do I confirm whether or not my Social Security number was exposed in this breach?
If you did not receive an email March 10th or 11th you may email and ask if your information was released.  If it was, then the Provost's office will send information to help you initiate fraud-monitoring protection.
How do I file a Fraud Alert with credit reporting agencies?
Contact any one of these:
·       Equifax: 800; P.O. Box 740231, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
·       Experian: 888; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
·       TransUnion: 800; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
The company you file a Fraud Alert with will notify the other two companies.  Important!  If a Fraud Alert or Credit Freeze is in place you may not be able to set up online accounts with IRS or the Social Security Administration, so do those steps first (see below)!
You may also request one free credit report per year from each credit reporting agency.  By timing your requests and rotating the agency, you can receive a free credit report every four months; by alternating with your spouse it is even possible for one of you to receive a free credit report every two months.
What does a Fraud Alert accomplish?
You will be contacted by a credit reporting agency if anyone (including you) requests a credit report, to confirm it was you.  You will also receive fewer pre-approved credit card offers during the Fraud Alert period.
How long does a Fraud Alert last?
Ninety days per request.  After it expires you may request another Fraud Alert for another ninety days.
What is the Faculty Senate’s response?
Beginning with the initial notification made by the University on March 10, 2015, the Faculty Senate Executive Committee has been continuously engaged with the University administration to help faculty deal with this data breach.
The most recent meeting was March 30, 2015, with Interim President Hussey, Provost Watson, and Shane Hinckley, Interim Vice President for Marketing and Communications.
The Speaker of the Faculty Senate, Jim Woosley, emails all faculty (not just the ones exposed in this instance) with the latest information as he receives it.
How can I set up online access to view my Social Security account?
Follow the steps at  Note that under some circumstances online access may not be available.  You should do this before placing a Fraud Alert or Credit Freeze on your credit reports.
How can I block access to my Social Security account?
Follow the steps at
Can I get another Social Security number?
If your identity is stolen and misused, then after you have pursued all other avenues to restore your identity you may apply to the Social Security Administration for a new Social Security number (see
What about fraudulent income tax returns?
If your identity is stolen it could be used to file a fraudulent income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  To reduce this risk IRS recommends you set a PIN at for your and your spouse’s Social Security numbers.  You can also see a transcript of what returns have been filed in your name at  You should do this before placing a Fraud Alert or Credit Freeze on your credit reports.
If a fraudulent tax return has been filed you should notify the University Police Department at or (979) 845-2345 as well as IRS.
To notify IRS of actual or potential identity theft, file the form at  The IRS Identity Protection Unit is at, or call (800) 908-4490. However, note that according to, IRS currently answers fewer than forty per cent of calls.
Additional IRS resources are at:
·  (Identity Theft Information for Taxpayers)
Whom else should I notify?
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has primary federal responsibility for identity theft issues; they can be contacted at,  (877) 438-4338, or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W., Washington, DC 20580.
What University rules apply?
Rule 29.01.03.M1.24: Information Resources – Notification of Unauthorized Access, Use, or Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information (
What best practices could the University and the System choose to implement to reduce the likelihood of future breaches of personally identifiable data?
  • Encrypt at rest all personally identifiable data.
  • Require two-factor authentication (password and a device) for all University and System servers containing personally identifiable data This is already available for servers using the Central Authentication System (NetID and password), e.g., and, with the second authentication being a smart phone or a Duo dongle.  For more information please see  To register for Duo,  please see  Note that the second factor (your device) can be linked or unlinked at any time, and that it can be authorized for 60 days at a time.
  • Use a continuous web crawler to look for personally identifiable information on University and System servers, both public and also those inside firewalls, to detect exposures.
For more information please contact:
·       Joseph P. Pettibon II, (979) 845-4016
·       Office of the Provost, (979) 845-4016
·       Office of the President, (979) 845-2217